View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
And my 2013 Fit is right about the same weight as my 1989 Accord was.
But the Fit is more powerful, more economical, and according to the EPA, has more interior volume, to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Depends on what exactly you mean by more. In this case, I think "less is more" applies. It's rather like adding 100 lbs to your Sports Illustrated swimsuit model or Chippendale dancer - not something most of us would think of as an improvement :-)
I think the more appropriate comparison is boxers.

The old Accord was a middleweight.

The old Civic was a welterweight.

The new Civic is a middleweight. Which would be a bad thing if it still had the same power and reach. But it packs the same punching power and range as the old Accord. Beyond that, it has a stronger chin than either the old Accord or Civic.

-

Nameplates are deceptive. You have to look at how much space you get for the same weight, old to new.

- - - - - - - - - - -

The Mirage is another nice case in point.

Our current Mirage weighs as much as our first non-American car, a 1983 Ford Laser (Mazda Familia). Same weight, but the Mirage is quicker, has a smidge more passenger volume, and if you were to crash the two into each other, I know which I'd rather be in.

Granted, the Laser was more fun to drive. But the exhausts and suspensions on those things fell out of the car before the ink on the warranty was dry. Also, I don't think I would ever be able to coax 30 km/l out of the old carbureted 1.3.

The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (11-14-2017)