View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Of course people who use speakers for listening. rather than annoying people outside their vehicle (and sometimes a mile or so away), go unnoticed.

Though I'm not really sure what filling in the deep bass is supposed to do. To me, the stock speakers in the Miata do a more than adaquate job on things that have considerable bass, say Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", or Beethoven's "Battle Symphony" with the cannon. Maybe if you're trying to emulate one of these https://www.unr.edu/cceer/facilities...t/shake-tables on the cheap?
My Insight came with two speakers from the factory, which sounded like something out of the 1800's. Replacing them with aftermarket, moving up to 4 speakers and amplifying them helped with bass, but for it to sound remotely good required maxing the bass settings in the head unit, and resulted in distortion at relatively low volume. Adding a separate (small) sub helped tremendously - I expect the housings for the speakers are just lousy, and there's little that can be done to help them.

Plenty of other vehicles have much better sounding factory audio though, and a sub is probably unnecessary.