View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 02:26 AM   #55 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Small isn't everything. I came up as a classic car enthusiast, so a lot of the standard stuff baffles me. It's a lot of things waiting to break and cost me. Not to mention the latest wave of using screens for everything - not only does it look entirely weird, I don't know how you're supposed to use this stuff while driving. There aren't many modern cars I'd want just based on the superfluous feature crap alone.
I can relate to that. I've been used to no-frills subcompacts basically since I was born, and when I was just 1 year-old I already enjoyed picking a screwdriver to disassemble some random body panels of a VW Beetle that my dad owned by then

When it comes to screens and all those gadgets, I also prefer analog interfaces instead of a touchscreen or other digital input devices that would most likely require me to keep looking at them instead of the road ahead.

Quote:
We aren't going back to small light cars with superior visibility. Neither the market nor regulators will bear it.
The lack of really compact yet functional cars is increasing my interest around tricycles, since their classification as a motorcycle is a viable way to circumvent some regulations. Nowadays many jurisdictions are requiring improvements such as ABS brakes to be fitted to new motorcycles too, but that's not nearly as over-complicated as throwing too many airbags that might eventually turn into an actual death trap. I guess there is no need to mention the Takata crisis

Quote:
I was lucky enough to catch the tail end of the cars at which my patience for modern stuff ends, at the tail of its roadworthy lifespan.
I actually believe some modern features are not so bad at all, such as ABS brakes and stability controls. The problem is when people start treating those devices like an aid to overcome their actual lack of ability (or willfulness) to drive responsibly.

Quote:
I'll probably be going back to classic cars after my Civic ends its stint with me, whenever that is.
Recently my dad told me he would like to buy a VW Beetle. I'd rather get a Kombi, or even a Brasília, but I can't deny it wouldn't be a bad idea at all, considering the easier servicing on them compared to modern penalty boxes and some vehicles newer than a Beetle that are however becoming old. Well, it's always easier to do some makeshift repair in a carburettor than in an EFI module...