View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
On a tangent subject, I just moved into an apartment that has satellite TV included. There were 2 new receivers when we moved in; a basic receiver, and a DVR.

My wife activated the DVR, and then I learned that DVR capability is a $10/mo "service" even though we already have the hardware. HD is also a $10/mo option, and only SD is included. Anyhow, I've never paid for TV, and I'm not about to begin, especially if paying for TV doesn't eliminate the commercials.

The DVR consumes 24 watts while on and 22 watts while "off". Not sure what the point of having an off button is if it only reduces power consumption by 10%. Anyhow, I haven't measured the standard receiver power consumption, but my guess is it's around 5 watts when on, and close to 0 when off.

The company wants me to pay another $7/mo to activate the non-DVR receiver, but I'm going to complain that the DVR has a failing fan (it sounds like it anyhow with all the noise) and have them swap for free.

The guy I spoke to was surprised to learn there is a big difference between DVR and standard. The DVR has a fan, and the standard receiver doesn't.

It sucks going from free and beautiful OTA HD TV with DVR to grainy TV and no DVR. Maybe I can get a high quality antenna and pull in some of the stations.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!