View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
my drive is about 25min long, even on long road trips mileage never gets better than 40-41mpg. Yes I also think my shifting improvements won't change the game. Even when I'm not in an economy mindset and am rushing to work I only do marginally worst when letting revs climb all the way to say 3500. For example recently when i changed my shifting behavior from my first post to other suggestion my mileage only improved 0.1 L/100km vs usual which probably falls into margin of error anyway. Yes slowing down helps a lot but since the road is 2 lanes only with lots of volume traveling in excess of 75mph it is not always possible. What I'm complaining about is the fact that this car is epa rated at 37mpg highway and 27 combined and I can only do 3.5 mpg better than that. In my previous cars I have seen 6-8 mpg improvements over EPA easily. My gas guzzling 3650lbs awd Mitsubishi gets about 28 mpg on the highway cruising @3k RPM @65mph with only modification being narrower low resistance winter tires yet it's rated at 22mpg highway :\ It even improves further to 30mpg if i coast more or reduce to 55mph some parts of the way. This makes me wonder if an engine that generates 300hp gives max 30mpg is inefficient compared to one that makes 155hp with max 40mpg, and whether it's worth sacrificing 150hp and 4WD for 10mpg improvement?