View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 11:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Yup, maintenance isn't bad if you can do things yourself.

2000 Echo, minus ONLY fuel and insurance, cost me around $1000 to drive for 5 years. True, I got 30 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum at 80 cents per quart which helped, but really it was just a cat, a few used tires, clean the mass air sensor, replace a fender and headlight assembly, and had to replace the VVTi actuator. Car was free* and if I'm being honest, I probably could have fixed the coolant thing for under $100, but I wanted to move on so I wrote it off. Served me for 5 years and ~70k miles, it left me with ~263k hard miles on it.

I overpaid for my Civic, which I'm ok with. It's clean and looks like it'll get better FE. Only major expense should be timing belt should I elect to have it done for me. Leaky clutch master cylinder is cheap to replace. Other things such as shifter bushings are optional. Probably will follow the "remove + improve" plan, upgrading things as they need to be replaced.

I'd rather save the $$$ now and eat the money on something nice in the future.

* Was wife's car when I got with her. Her family purchased it brand new. So "free" might include wedding costs and marriage baggage in which case it's a rather expensive car for something with mold on the carpets and not a single undamaged body panel.

I can't see paying big money for a modern car (says the guy who bought a used minivan). For myself it's either cheap cars like my Civic, or go with my passion, classic cars, which are both cheap to keep up and basically immune to depreciation.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 11-23-2017 at 11:19 PM..