View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
I live in Louisiana and am averaging about 44 mpg with my '15 Mazda 3 automatic in a driving regimen consisting of about 90% highway and 95% air conditioning use.

I don't hypermile per se, but I do try to drive a bit slower than the average traffic around me when I can do it safely. The speed limits on the highways I normally drive on range from 55 to 75 mph. When I can, I drive 55 in the 55 mph speed zones and around 60 in the higher speed zones when I can do so without getting hit, but when so threatened I step it up closer to the speeding zombies around me.

For me, it's all about the average speed and, of course, such things as wind velocity and direction.

Since I have an automatic, I can't comment on shifting strategies and RPM.
yes of course speed counts. but several differences here. i get 40 mpg but i mainly cruise at 65mph, tires are sticky winter rubber, temperatures are at or below freezing temperatures and i am running winter gas. so i think that accounts for your extra 4 mpg. in the end it’s still not impressive to me for a 2017 year car. not very different from my first car which was a 2000 corolla.