View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #150 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Any good source for an example of a recent case of institutionalized -ism?

Telling me to open my eyes isn't a convincing argument if I'm saying that my eyes are open, and I don't see it. When presented with compelling evidence, I'm very quick to accept it.
Completely unofficial, institutionalized at one random local level.
Here's my anecdotal bit about law enforcement and white privilege. The first time I got pulled over I was 17 and it never occurred to me to worry about anything. He let me go with a warning for 72 in a 40 (another half mile and it would have been a 35) because he gave all the local kids one freebie. Five years later the FBI was investigating the town because his program for the town to stop cars that didn't seem to have any business in town just coincidentally stopped mainly people with dark skin passing through on the state highway.

Uncodified, but definitely institutionalized.
Keystone XL: We can't have it cross the river just upstream of Bismark, so we'll move it to cross just upstream of the Indians' land. And we're not the racists here, the Corps of Engineers threw out the Bismark crossing way early in the process, before we even officially proposed it!
Why a Previously Proposed Route for the Dakota Access Pipeline Was Rejected - ABC News
Quote:
A previously proposed route for the 1,172-mile pipeline had it crossing the Missouri River north of Bismarck, North Dakota, according to a document filed as part of the permitting process. The eventual route that was decided on, and is currently in construction, moved the water crossing of the crude oil pipeline south of the North Dakota capital, to just upstream of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe's reservation.

“This pipeline was rerouted towards our tribal nations when other citizens of North Dakota rightfully rejected it in the interests of protecting their communities and water. We seek the same consideration as those citizens," Dave Archambault II, chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, said in a statement.

The North Dakota Public Service Commission (PSC) refuted allegations of environmental racism, saying that the Bismarck route proposal was never submitted to the agency because permits for it were denied by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during its environmental assessment.

“The river crossing north of Bismarck was a proposed alternative considered by the [Dakota Access] company early in the routing process. This route was never included in the proposed route submitted to the PSC and therefore was never vetted or considered by us during our permitting process. It had been eliminated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during their environmental assessment," North Dakota Public Service Commission Chair Julie Fedorchak said in statement on Oct. 27.
/Quote

Codified, but not called racism outright by the folks doing it.
North Carolina gerrymandering: We packed blacks into these convoluted districts because we wanted to help them.
Redistricting: Supreme Court upholds ruling striking down NC districts | Charlotte Observer
U.S. Supreme Court agrees NC lawmakers created illegal congressional district maps in 2011

Codified, just not widely advertized.
Redlining. For when you're too racist to allow a racist policy to be informal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining#History
Quote:
Although informal discrimination and segregation had existed in the United States, the specific practice called "redlining" began with the National Housing Act of 1934, which established the Federal Housing Administration (FHA).

NPA and its affiliates achieved disclosure of lending practices with the passage of The Home Mortgage Disclosure Act of 1975. The required transparency and review of loan practices began to change lending practices.
/Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
So far, all I have to be outraged by is that some groups of people who are generations removed from injustice are being told they need increasing amounts of "help" at the expense of other groups of people who had nothing to do with the injustice. It isn't helpful to those being told they can't make it without government assistance, and it isn't helpful to the economic contributors to society.
Generations removed? The past isn't dead. It isn't even past.

We're all products of past generations. A couple people in my extended family over the years have been (what I would call) rich. What the rest of us had was stability and the resulting prosperity- what everyone else would call rich. Going to college, getting a good job, owning a house and having a stable family life were always assumed. Not in a snobby way like our family was better than other people, but assumed in the way you assume the sun will come up in the east tomorrow- it just happens. I grew up travelling to visit extended family and being taken places by my parents, grandparents, grand aunts and uncles.

Society placed me on cruise control for a good life. I've got problems and struggles, but I own a house and have money in the bank. My kids are always doing sports and we just realized a couple months ago that they're a couple trips away from having been to all the 48 states. I've had to work hard, but I didn't have to strive for anything. I didn't overcome poverty, crime, drugs, nonexistent family or an antagonistic government. I had nothing but support, and none of it was grudging. No one who helped me along had the attitude that I wasn't deserving of it or was somehow not a good person for getting help.

Nothing special, unless the government and society was actively working against your family over generations. Then it looks like a fairy tale. Sometimes the absence of discrimination is the biggest help you can get, but it's hard to see and gets multiplied by generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%