View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
gumby79
Master EcoModder

little jona - '91 Dodge D 250 first gen cummins LE
Team Streamliner
90 day: 23.4 mpg (US)

Little Jona airo modded - '91 Dodge RAM 3/4 TON D 250 2×4 AUTO
Pickups
Team Cummins
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

The Salted Hound Jenny. - '87 Dodge Ram 50/D-50 5sp 4X4
90 day: 20.24 mpg (US)

Jona Allison aero - '91 Dodge Ram D-250 Le
90 day: 20.76 mpg (US)
I dont know how long it was stuck. Last winter we ( my cousin and I the previous owner) were talking about installing a block heater for reduced warm up . He wasn't able to find any freeze plugs to install one. He didn't get around to putting one line until after it was time for the truck to go away and no longer needed. I found the soft plugs however you have to pull the intake or the exhaust manifold to gain access or visibility I want at least 700w block heater .
Thermal cycling thats a reasonable reason for the crack. How about the gouging? Foren object in the rimgs would be straight lines (Ive seen theas before on race engens ). This looks like acid ran down the cylinders eroding wall material below the surface the Rings rub.
This is my 3rd and hopefully last life time cracked block in 2 decades of driving. They have all been running(wile cracked) with unrelated symptoms. This is the first cross contamination oil/water from a crack.
I am still suspecting the head is cracked and junk as the source of contamination. 1qt in less than 15 mi. There is a water jacket behind the crack os not the sorce of contaminant.