View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I think only CenturyLink was available when I had my own apartment. It looks like they charged me $20 a month during the promotional period and then $45. Where I used to live, we had Cox Cable Internet, but CenturyLink was also available. I believe that CenturyLink charged at least as much as Cox, but for 30 Mbps.

I forget how much Cox charged, but part of the reason that I took this job and moved was because Cox decided they were going to charge extra for using more than one terabyte each month, and with eight guys in two duplexes, we managed to go over. The landlord said he was raising the rent to upgrade the Internet. Supposedly, we went from 50 Mbps to 100, but not only was it not reliably fast, it was not reliable at all.

The Internet here seemed slow when it was first connected, but it definitely works better than at my old place.

I just got 32 Mbps up and down.

While I think that my 10x10 room is overpriced (apparently $415 with the Internet), my supervisor rents a room for $750, and almost all of the houses in this city have the same floorplan, so she said his room is probably the same size as mine. She keeps saying he thinks it is a great price.

Yes, it is a whole 6% better than his last place, which charged $800 monthly.

If I could purchase one of these houses (and conjure a 20% down payment), I would pay $735 for the mortgage, and if I rented out one room for $750, hmm... math...

They are three bedrooms, though. If I could get a mortgage with the same interest rate, but with zero down, it would be $1,100 a month. Two roommates would give $400 towards mortgage insurance and utilities.

I love working at the school and I am always happy to see my students. I enjoy seeing the other kids, too, but hopefully I can get a job near Show Low, and will also enjoy that. Then I would not need to drive five hours each way each weekend to make sure that Mom is okay and if she had an emergency during the week, I would not be five hours away.

If not, hopefully I can get a job back in the valley, where I will be an hour and a half closer to her and my brother, and approximately five hours closer to:

Mail delivered to your house!
Stores besides Safeway and Walmart!
Solar death rays!

Wait...