View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Auptimist
EcoModding Lurker

The rear end really bugs me but I'm still overall excited.

For one, I don't understand why they would go with a sedan, given its namesake's hatch heritage and the apparent direction of the American car market away from sedans (or has that changed?). I've been hoping for a long time that they would just plop the 2-Motor Hybrid Atkinson powertrain into the current civic hatchback, which seems like it would be an instant sell over the Prius/Volt/Ioniq with its superior drivetrain. (The 2-motor hybrid drivetrain is better than the Ioniq's DCT and better than Toyota/Volt/Ford's """eCVT"""s which suffer from circulating power losses in their glorified differentials.) Even if they're intent on this form factor, that kammback style roof is prime for a liftback like the old Acura RSX. I really wonder why they apparently chose not to go for that kind of liftback and its extra practicality. Would that then just invite criticism that it's an inferior hatchback, and is that still preferable to being a freaking sedan?

Also, ROUNDED REAR BUMPERS AND LIGHTS. WHY. The fake vents on the bumpers of the current Civics are there to give an aesthetic excuse to put hard edges on the bumpers for better flow detachment. I actually like them on the current Civic hatch (not type R) since they do have that purpose. Coincidentally, the hatchback gets 1mpg better highway than the coupe with the same drivetrain, even with its less steeply raked rear glass and shorter butt, and I bet a portion of it has to do with the much more rounded rear of the coupe. Fake vents might not fit in with the hybrid (sport hybrid?), but surely they could have found some other way to do those efficient hard edges. The Clarity kinda has them.

The spoiler is also underwhelming like the Accord/clarity and civic sedan. The connected taillights/spoiler of the civic coupe and hatch is a much better look imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	23219