View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
My guess is this might help you, I doubt it will hurt. Either way I don't see it having much effect on MPG.

Here's how I see it, In this pic we can see your trunk lid is below the Aero Template, which is not good.

By adding the spoiler, it brings it up to being a bit above the line, which is Good. (BTW, I took great care to be sure the spoiler is proportional to the rest of the car, the white civic seemed just like yours but is a better picture to use for analysis)

Now the "Maybe/Maybe Not" point. Since we don't know what effect this will have on the rear corners of the car, we don't know if it really helps, or hurts. If your car were only a 2 dimensional shape on paper, like it is here, this would be a definite improvement. But cars are 3D so it get's real complicated due to the whole "Cars have Sides on them" issue.

I tend to guess that Honda has not designed the sides of the trunk to taper in, so It stands to reason that the non-spoiled car has a sort of deep low over the trunk that the air from the sides wants to climb into, and that's really bad. So by adding the spoiler to lessen the deep low above the trunk, or maybe eliminate it, you'll keep the side air from wanting to climb....which is Excellent.

I'd say the odds are 15% big improvement, 45% small improvement, 30% nothing happens, and 10% small decrease.

So there.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
D15r (12-25-2017)