View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Since you have a manual, focus on EOC and less on engine mods. You're doing more idling than anything so start coasting a bump staring. Making better torque is nice but weight reduction is free if you can stand to lose carpet, useless back seats and other panels. Get a light weight battery or switch to those fancy super capacitors. You're rack and pinion right? Delete the PS pump and loop the lines. What kind of smog pump do you have? Can you delete it and stay DOT legal?
I am not going to go crazy by trying to shed as much weight from my car as I can. There is only so much I can possibly do to my motor to make it more efficient than the efficiency that GM was able to achieve back in the days of research and development during the mid-to-late 1980's. Even then, after all my modifications, I may net a marginal fuel economy increase that is far from stellar, but at least I will have net some gain and with all the reduced friction inside the motor, it should have a marginal power increase as well, paired with the compression ratio increase.

I won't even play games with shutting off the motor and coasting down hills. One guy on the performance forums suggested I have my stock computer tuned to shut off fuel delivery whenever I use the motor for braking, like a jake brake, since I have a stick shift. I am not sure if this is even possible but it would help with unnecessary fuel consumption at higher RPM and no throttle!