View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 10:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
It's been shown on this forum that DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) is less efficient than coasting in neutral so no real need to add DFCO; you're better off staring to coast in neutral earlier instead of relying on the engine to slow you down.
My driving style incorporates both. Depending upon driving conditions I take my dear sweet time braking for a stop light or congested traffic ahead of me by pushing in the clutch and lightly, featherly, applying the brake with added increments of pressure until I am at a full stop. I drive like I have air brakes and am hauling a trailer. This gives traffic behind me ample time to be alerted to stopping traffic ahead if they are the type who don't pay attention when driving and like to ride your bumper dangerously!

There are times when it is safer to use my motor for braking to slow my car down more efficiently than the brakes, this is usually on the expressway but even going thirty miles an hour and making a turn I can squeeze in a downshift. So for conditions such as this, I might as well have my stock computer tuned for deceleration fuel cut off! The name of the game is optimizing fuel efficiency and pinching it where I can. I even suggested trying to tune my car to idle as low as 500 RPM, if possible, or as high as 700 RPM, to maximize fuel efficiency for those long idle periods I will end up facing in traffic.