View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #720 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
It offends my sense of Voluntarism as well, but since no-one had told me how brutal and rapacious working for others would turn out to be, I'd have probably declined at age 16. But I concur with the foundational document, in that it's Okay to "institute [new] Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Thoughtful proposals here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social..._and_proposals

The shameful tale of Ronald Ray-gun and his successors here:
https://www.fedsmith.com/2013/10/11/...ecurity-heist/

Quote:
Reagan’s scare tactics worked. Congress passed the Social Security Amendments of 1983, which included a hefty increase in the payroll tax rate. The tax increase was designed to generate large Social Security surpluses for the next 30 years. The public was led to believe that the surplus money would be saved and invested in marketable U.S. Treasury Bonds, which could later be resold to raise cash with which to pay benefits to the boomers. But that didn’t happen. The money was all deposited directly into the general fund and used for non-Social Security purposes. Reagan spent every dime of the surplus Social Security revenue, which came in during his presidency, on general government operations. His successor, George H.W. Bush, used the surplus money as a giant slush fund, and both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush looted and spent all of the Social Security surplus revenue that flowed in during their presidencies. So we can’t blame the whole problem on Reagan. Reagan was the one who figured out a way to use Social Security money as general revenue, and his successors just followed his example.

The $2.7 trillion, which is alleged to be in the trust fund, was all spent for wars, tax cuts for the rich, and other government programs. If the money is repaid at some point in the future, we could say is was just “borrowed.” But no arrangements have been made to repay the money, and nobody in government is suggesting that the money should be repaid. So, if it is never repaid, the money will definitely have been stolen.

Last edited by freebeard; 01-04-2018 at 12:52 PM..