View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
A 100 Hp Subaru would have done the same thing. Actually probably better because you don't want the torque an electric motor delivers when on ice. You want to control the power and not spin the tires. That Tesla is running 4 little zamboni machines there getting that ice nice and slippery. I don't know if that's the driver forcing it, or if the car naturally adds that much power on ice. You want all those ridges of snow trapped in the treads to bond with the road surface so you leave the tread pattern in the snow of your tracks. The friction of those little bonds is what moves you in those kinds of conditions if you don't have actual studs on the tires digging in to ice. Even then, you want the studs to stick in a hole and pull you forward not cut a grove. Spinning only helps if you are burning through the ice and getting down to solid pavement in which case the Semi could have done that on it's own just a easy.

I got a post office box truck stuck once and a single man leaning against it pushed me out, it's just a matter of how close you are to having traction, a tiny bit more puts you over the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
jamesqf (01-07-2018)