View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #104 (permalink)
Shepherd777
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The only benefit I could discern,would be gridlock behind a semi which cannot make it through a green traffic light,due to very slow acceleration, after the cars which preceed it, have already cleared the intersection.
I saw this with a Swift rig when I went to meetup with BamZipPow.Perhaps,ten cars,which otherwise would have cleared the intersection, had to wait on at least one more signal light cycle delay before proceeding.
It's a lot of zero-mpgs for the other motorists.
Eaton custom-calibrated the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in our 18 speed Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) to skip shift when not fully loaded to somewhat mitigate a scenario like the intersection example above.

They just released a new purpose built transmission that shifts much faster than the robotized manual transmission that I have in the StarShip. But I don't have one. Yet.

The current AMTs are just converted manuals with a robot clutch (no clutch pedal) and robot servo shifting in lieu of a manual shifter. It also has an electric paddle-type shifter so I can shift it anywhere in the RPM band that I want to.

http://www.airflowtruck.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shepherd777 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-13-2018), BamZipPow (01-08-2018)