Thread: Both ends!
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
DSMHondaGuy
EcoModding Apprentice

Sipper - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 40.14 mpg (US)
Both ends!

Hello,

33yr old white male Christian checking in, former U.S. Army field Artilleryman, spent 8 years in the regular army, deployed 3 times, got married, have 3 kids (all with my wife) got out, hunted for a job, found and quit several, finally got back to my home state and am now a TIG welder in a sheet metal fabrication shop. Pretty good shade tree mechanic (father has been a GM mechanic his whole life) And I'm into performance cars. 1990 Eagle Talon TSi making 345 all wheel hp, 5 speed, 2850lb goes like hell!

On the opposite end of the spectrum I just picked up a 1998 Honda HX 5 speed. Slow as balls but sips gas like a fine wine. Currently getting a base line for it's MPG as it stands. Been driving it like there's an egg between my foot and the accelerator, eager to see the results but they're looking promising so far. I expect high 30's. And plan to modify this car for better mileage....How far I'm going to take it, I don't yet know.

So I now have 2 cars at opposite ends of the spectrum. 1 that sips gasoline like a fine wine, and another that's doing keg stands. Though that car IF you keep your foot out of it on the highway gets pretty darn good mileage too! (30mpg) considering it's all wheel drive with relatively wide tires. Doesn't have a very big frontal area though and has decent CD for a factory car.

The 98 Honda HX has been mechanically rebuilt for the most part by the previous owner and runs and drives like a fairly new example. The biggest issue is there's some slop in the bushings on the accelerator pedal assembly which causes a slight stickiness of the pedal at part throttle and makes it irritating to make very fine part throttle adjustments. Going to address that after this first tank of fuel is burned, not making any adjustments to anything until base line is established.

Last edited by DSMHondaGuy; 01-09-2018 at 02:15 PM..