Thread: Warm air intake
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #150 (permalink)
DSMHondaGuy
EcoModding Apprentice

Sipper - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 40.14 mpg (US)
Not just older light aircraft, some older engine designs had the intake and exhaust manifolds on some straight 6 engines bolted to one another to transfer the heat for better atomization of the fuel.

Check out the PMD straight 6's for example. (Pontiac Motor Division) John DeLorean (yeah that one) designed the first mass produced OHC engine and did this. Both the intake and exhaust where on the same side of the head.

I actually habe one of those engines, came out of a 1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint 6.

P.S. Smokey Uniqe (I think I spelled that right) famous old NASCAR racer did similar modifications and even injected fuel into the compressor side of a turbo on a modified Pontiac Fiero and got crazy mileage and a power boost.

The downside to injecting fuel into the compressor side is the same as water injection pre turbo. Compressor erosion, it's a real thing and once bad enough and the turbo reaches high enough rpm, it will come apart...comoressor "blades" spinning at 170,000rpm coming apart is rather destructive.

Last edited by DSMHondaGuy; 01-09-2018 at 07:02 AM..