View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm telling you, we're just years away from Chinese vehicles hitting the US and undercutting the competition, especially in the EV sphere. They are very capable of borrowing the best IP (intellectual property) from other companies and incorporating them into their own products.

I have a $300 4k video quadcopter that outperforms anything else under $1000.

Electronics are relatively cheap. Elon might be selling the full autonomous package for $10,000, but he won't be able to get away with those extreme profit margins once the Chinese begin offering it for $1,000.

5 years from now we'll be fools to not get some level of driver-assist in new vehicles. The resale of vehicles with no assist will be very poor, and insurance rates will be higher.
What's your drone? Costco had the Mavic Pro for just under $1000. Luckily I only had $150 in my pocket LOL. I want to do some ghost town/historic mining filming/scouting. Maybe aerial wildlife filming if it doesn't spook them too much. I have a $100 toy now, but it really has a terrible camera and range.

I agree, and can't wait for some level of autonomous. I just hope they make it work with humans driving as well and not try and limit the freedom to drive yourself if you want. If at some point nobody want to drive fine.

IMO nothing has given us real, tangible freedom as the ability to control our own transportation when and where we want at every level of income. If there was some "master switch" somebody could throw and lock everybody down to within walking distances, or only allow travel to and from designated locations it would be a terrible outcome. I suppose I would always just keep an old veggie oil diesel 4x4 in the garage and be that crazy old coot.