View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdesign View Post
Thanks! I appreciate your input!

I am sure I might be missing some things, but I enjoy learning. From what I have read/watched on youtube and other sources, it looks like you deep cycle each stick and get a final read out of data per each stick. From there replace those that show weak values if need be, or try your best to get them up to par. Let them rest and see if they hold a charge. When thats complete, re-position them in the pack so that the ones that were having a bit more time/issue taking to a normal value are on the outside of the pack. I understand that its a time consuming process.

I know its not as straight forward as just swapping sticks. I have yet to get that far so for right now this is my step 1. I agree that this is just preventative maintenance but isn't the whole situation? I mean the battery isn't going to last forever.
I have yet to find a YouTube video that provides a reliable process. What they lack is:

1) use of proper equipment.
2) use of proper process.
3) identification of acceptable performance criteria
4) reliable mid to long-term feedback on success
5) reliable source for good replacement sticks

Pack-level charge/discharge reconditioning is 99.9% as effective as single stick cycling when done correctly.

If this is something you wish to devote a solid 2-3 weeks of downtime, then I can walk you through a decent process. You will likely need to purchase a salvage yard pack or source an entire pack's worth of sticks. Note that MANY folks have failed to build a working pack even when using 2-3 source packs. While the HCH2 is MUCH worse, it took me 15 packs to build 3.

With any luck, you haven't damaged anything, and what you've done has successfully reconditioned/rebalanced the pack, and you'll get some longevity out of it with grid charging and occasional discharging.

BTW... how did you discharge the pack? Did you make alternate connections? IIRC, the MV harness has a diode in it that prevents pack discharge through the harness.