View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
mannydantyla
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. EPA figures for my vehicle are 13 city, 18 highway. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=29386&id=29388]

And I'm getting almost exaclty that on a motor with over 250,000 miles, I should be thrilled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Be careful with that skid plate and no external cooler for the trans. My buddy had an xj that he fried the transmission in because he had full skid plates and the radiator cooler just wasn't enough to keep the trans cool.

If you are overheating at highway speeds, you need to check your water pump. My little brother has a YJ (same motor) and going out to Glamis we overheated at anything above 60mph (4 people and full of gear). When we got home the radiator checked out, so we checked the WP and sure enough, the blades were eroded enough to not flow as much water under prolonged heavy load. Changed it at 195k miles, haven't had a problem since.
good advice, thank you. I do, however, have an external transmission oil cooler. Also, I replaced the water pump a few months ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile
I've got 31" A/T's and a six speed and get 20mpg (off road only), and the XJ is far more aerodynamic than a TJ. Still gets around 26mpg highway. Stock other than tyres.

The 4.0 is over powered so dropping highway RPM can only help, even with the aero penalty of the bigger rubber.
oh damn!

how the **** do you do that? Is it all in the 6-speed? That would be a worthy swap