View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Can you think of an image to show rejection?

I tried a few different searches. I mostly got thumbs downs, stamps, people putting up their hands, and the Merriam-Webster logo.

I have a kindergartner whose goals are CH and J. For two and a half years, just showing kids how I make the sound has been enough, but it did not work for him. You may be surprised to learn that CH is technically TSH. Someone recommended having kids say "Meat ship." While I could successfully teach him to say "Meachip," that sounded useless, so I went for bench, bunch, hatchet, catcher, coach, denture, katsup, kitchen, and matches.

I love it when a plan comes together!

The same people who say CH is TSH also say that J is DZ, with the Z being like Zsa Zsa or beige, the sound the student is already making. I am going to try to teach him to say adzent, badzer, prodzect, madzic, madzor, paidze, soldzer, redzect, redzister, and fudze.

None of that sounds right to me, either, but I am just trying to do my job!

For example, I have a picture of a [child-friendly] maid, the letters "zor" and a picture of Major Payne, from the movie "Major Payne," about a fictional character named Major Payne. Supposedly, Maid + zor = major.

I look forward to asking about this in grad school.

I keep thinking of a reject pile, like misshapen Cheerios, but I am not finding anything so far. Bonus points if it is a cultural reference!

For "Kitchen," I could have used a sewing kit, model airplane kit, or something else, but I chose K.I.T.T. from "Knight Rider," because I am stuck in 1982.