View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
To be ready for the Arcimoto FUV when it ships, I need to let go of some items, possibly including the 5-speed that was in my notchbak Type III.

I called Gene Berg [RIP] about his five-speeds, but he grumbled about getting out of that line, so I went with the Mikey 5-Speed out of Beaverton Oregon. I still have the build sheet with the ratios somewhere. It would need to be converted from swing axles, and the sheet metal would have to be bumped and the shifter modified.

The problem with second gear syncho that prompted the rebuild came back, and I had it sent it to a shop in Bend for a 2nd rebuild and it came back no better. But I drove on it a lot double-clutching to shift down into second.

I could give you an Ecomodder discount, minus the axles and brakes (you already have).
Thanks! But I'm a bit strapped at the moment. It's still tempting though to say the least.

Personally I haven't been able to get out of the habit of double clutching my downshifts ever since I drove commercially. And the heavier flywheels in my Bug and my Golf haven't helped me loose the feel for it either. I loved double clutching down to first in a parking lot in the diesel and watch everyone turn their heads wondering what in the world am I doing blipping the engine like that just to slowly put around the parking lot.

But then the other day I drove my mom's 2014 Chevy Sonic and when I tried to downshift next thing you know the RPMS flew up faster than I expected and then right back down where they were as soon as I let off the accelerator. What do they make these new flywheels out of nowadays? Beryllium?