View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #39 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I think you did better than a computer could have. The computer won't be able to tell a deer from a cow say, or even some mailboxes for that matter. So those other things won't jump out in front of you, but the others are more common. Is it going to slam on the brakes for a mailbox on a sawhorse, or everytime you go past a pedestrian? Like you said, you saw one and got ready for more, a computer will never be able to do that effectively. How many other places do you become aware of potential problems before they happen? I remember watching the video where a self driving Tesla avoided a crash on a merge situation with a massive last minute brake event. They put it up as a win, but I could see what was happening 10 seconds before the Tesla did and a simple lift off the throttle would have avoided braking at all. My wife sometimes freaks out a bit while I'm driving and somebody cuts us off. I always tell her to relax, I could see that coming 3 cars back and I gave them just enough room to be an idiot.
I watched some presentation about the AI behind a self driving system and it will definitely distinguish between deer and cows, let alone mailboxes.
It will immediately isolate anything that moves. It will also determine whether other vehicles etc. have a normal position, direction and speed for their situation or not, again identifying potential hazards.

Maybe you are a better driver than that system in identifying the idiot driver ahead of time.
But the idiot driver would be served well by an autopilot system. If all cars had autopilot the roads would definitely be much safer.
Anyhow, we need to avoid branding autopilot as a cure for idiot drivers as that would block acceptance for the very drivers that need it most.

Cows can run faster than a man btw. What makes them road safe is the fence in between. No fence: take care.

I was knocked from a moped by a cow once. The cattle were crossing a road and I was waiting patiently for the herd to clear it when the farmer split the pack to let me through.
So I gingerly footed the moped engine off right in the middle of the road while the cows were standing on the side.
Then a cow turned its head to see what's going on and it swayed a meter towards me. Cows have a long head and neck...
Banged against my arm and down I went.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-28-2018 at 06:30 AM..