View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
mannydantyla
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Doable but a lot of work.
Yeah for sure. People chop up these Jeeps every which way you can image. I found a good build thread of a guy who did this (sorta, he turns it into a buggy) and all the pics weren't destroyed by photo****et. It starts at page 39 in October 2011 and he finally finishes on page 89 in August 2012. So it's a labor of love and hopefully you still love it by the time you're done.

I have a lot of free time at work in front of a computer, so I spend a lot of my day researching and dreaming about what can be done. A lot less time to actually work on the Jeep. Oh, and I'm renovating my whole house right now, doing it all myself, and we're on the kitchen now and the fiance would not be happy if I worked on the jeep instead of her cabinets lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It preserves the existing structure and adds essentially a bubble-top coupe inside it, with an inverted airfoil section for down-force. This sacrifices some interior space, but it could be reduced in size [and effectiveness] to some NACA ducts and tubing.
Hmmm, after some reading I think I see what you're saying. That's certainly doable. Would have to be sure it would help before cutting the sheet metal.

Let's face it, doing the boat tail (or dove tail as the offroad guys call it) would ruin the jeep. It's a nice Jeep with a very nice interior. And it would take a lot of time, time that would be better spent on a belly pan, or custom bumpers, or installing a TDi turbo engine, or swapping in a manual transmission...

Actually, I already have a simple idea for the rear: get a lift gate (thats what they call the big lid that lifts up to get to the rear storage) from the junk yard and take the sheet metal around off the parameter, clean it up and screw/rivit/weld it to the existing lift gate, such that it's like a... roof spoiler? Except it would continue down the sides and tapper off to the tail lights. I don't know the name for it but it would promote a better flow separation and replace the soft round edge that there now. What do you think?

4runners used to have this rear spoiler that actually extends up and scoops the air to directing it down into the wake.. or so I image. What do you think of this?

What if I made the whole jeep a giant golfball...

Last edited by mannydantyla; 01-29-2018 at 11:11 PM..