View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #59 (permalink)
mannydantyla
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Of course as soon as i hit submit, I proceed to find this thread from 2008: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...info-2072.html. Here's Morelli's Punto

Bingo!

The text to go with the illustration:

"Compared to the standard blunt end (a), adding what they call attikas (fascias or parapets; flat, parallel panels) (b) delays separation and moves the tail vortices back (reduces Cd by up to 10%); these can be set inward (c), further reducing the size of the „dead zone“ (reduces Cd by 0.06, which is about half as good as the ideal tapered tail); the open-ended Kammback made of flat panels (d); and „Fluid Tail" (e)."

So we finally have a name for the half partial kammback and half box cavity dsign: open ended kammback.

Now I just need to actually do this and test it.

My OBCII wifi dongle arrived in the mail yesterday, for $20 it broadcasts the obdii outputs over wifi to any device with an app that can read them. There's dozens of apps for android, iOS, etc. that can do this, some of them free and some of them $5 or less.

My iphone broke two days ago, however. So last night I tried to use a $50 Kindle tablet. I tried 3 or 4 apps and either they wanted to use bluetooth only instead of wifi, wouldn't work with that specific obdii dongle because it wasn't the same brand as the app develop, or it just simply couldn't connect to it for unknown reason. These were all the free apps, I didn't want to buy an app as the Kindle Amazon account is connected to my fiance's bank account and not mine.

I could try using my 2010 MacBook Air but it's battery is on it's last leg and I'm doing a last second backup to an external hard drive as I type this. Thankfully I got the power cord to cooperate, it's damaged and won't work 90% of the time.

I'll have to fix the iPhone I guess before I can read instant MPGs.

One more update: I bought some nice mono shocks to replace my crappy gas shocks. This might not seem like an ecomodding upgrade but this will allow me to run at a higher tire pressure much more comfortably. The ride quality on the Jeep is extremely harsh: it has two solid axles instead of independent suspension, and the rear axle uses leaf springs (so it can haul heavier loads) which makes it even worse. At least the front uses coil springs but they're fairly stiff at 150 lbs/in. Oh, and the offroad tires have a very stiff sidewall, to prevent damage from rocks. All of this makes for a very very harsh ride at 40 psi.