View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #60 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Ride quality is important. I had a shop put adjustable struts in the front of my Superbeetle and they ordered the boy-racer part. It was so stiff if I put my elbow on the driver door arm rest, in 5-10 miles I'd have pain in my collarbone. Fortunately () I totaled it and got the stock spring rate back during the repair.

Slashdot points to a Macrumors story — 10% off on refurb iPhone 7s. https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...-7-plus-models

I'm flying by the seat-of-pants protocol. The Superbeetle has a mechanical speedometer and electric gas gauge and two warning lights. My new-to-me pre-OBDII Dasher adds an electric clock, temp gauge and a third warning light for the glow plug. Don't even have a cell phone.

A note about the open ended kammback: You will notice that the upper half has a screen with a half-circular cutout on the bottom edge. This is a perforated base plate, halfway between open and boxed.

I saw an amazing example of what screens can do at the Darko wind tunnel. They have a wall of 2" welded wire mesh in the return part of the loop. The air goes ten feet past it, around a corner, into the throat of the tunnel and then thirty feet down the tunnel, into the test section. They got an improvement in laminar flow on the tunnel wall.

I think there is a place for perforated plates parallel to the airflow, like the louvers on a old hot rod.