View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #31 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

Since this is Ecomodder...

...we should talk about the gas mileage of 125's. Or specifically, the lack of.

My buddy's WR-250R has consistently returns 75-80 MPG and occasionally pushes 90. By comparison my Lifan is doing good to get 75 with half the power (or less), usually returning around 70 and occasionally 80 if I hold my tongue right. This is downright embarrassing.

Admittedly it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. The WR is a completely modern motorcycle whereas my Lifan is basically upgraded 60's technology. I also have the carb jetted pretty fat for good running manners.

My point here is that a modern 125 would weigh and cost about the same as a 250 and get about the same mileage so there's very little incentive for them to exist in this country without tiered licensing.

(As an aside there's probably a dozen WR's in ownership among my riding buddies and one of them has 122,000 miles on it!! It was recently taken apart to replace the output shaft and while down they did a ring and valve job but it was still starting and running just fine. These are amazing motorcycles and if I had the legs to ride them I'd own one.)