View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

Solar house lighting.

I've already got LEDs and solar panels set up and I decided to have a look at solar lights.
There are some frankly risible kits available - panel, controller, battery and carefully bespoke bulb fixtures for horrendous prices, no thanks.
I then happened to run into solar PIR security lights on Amazon some of which come with remote control, multiple modes and remote solar panels.
So far I'm using an 8 element Mpow light for the kitchen (which would be better replaced by a 20, it's underpowered) and two 48 element lights with remote for the bedroom set as low/high (high on movement) and motion sensing in the hall. All secured using automotive tape. For the lounge I'd use lights with remote solar panels. The only slight drawback being none of these have either a remote or easily accessible on off switch.
On guesstimate calculations I'd save between 90-95% of my lighting cost and between 3-5% total (I keep snakes and other reptiles so my heating usage is higher). So far I'm not having problems with battery life, and it's winter with no real sunshine.
This system could save someone a lot of money if they were converting from incandescent or GU10 bulbs, even more than with mains LEDs because the energy component of the cost is free and the light cost is fairly level with a good quality LED mains bulb.
It could also be used in new builds with a battery and micro inverter so the lights could switch between solar/mains on the same wiring loom..