View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #55 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrat View Post
I had a street-legal CR-500 I titled and plated back in the early 90's. At least in Indiana it was fairly easy back then. I've also owned an XR-200R/XR-250R, KDX-200 and still have a Gas-Gas Pampera that were all titled and plated. KTM's were the easiest up until recently because their C of O didn't say anything about "for off road use only" and were listed on the Indiana excise tax list as street bikes.
When the XR 200R was still available in Brazil, it had always been street-legal. Not sure if it's still available for export, but at least one version that used to be exported to Australia was certified as a "farm bike" subject to conditional registration there.

Quote:
Every now and again you hear of a fresh conversion but the Feds started coming down on the States who allowed this sort of thing and it's greatly slowed down.

Could a person title and license a non-EPA/DOT bike? It wouldn't be easy. According to a recent article in Cycle World exotics like street-legal two strokes can be imported legally after they're 25 years old.
Considering what had been done with those Nissan Skylines imported by a now-defunct company that claimed they fulfilled Federal crash-worthiness requirements, even though just one or two generations were actually covered by the certification, it still seems easier to make an off-road motorcycle fully compliant with EPA/DOT requirements. The same might apply for grey-imports.

Quote:
I'm not sure I want a 25 year old smallbore after the typical use it gets...
Sure, most of them are tipically too worn out. But now I've seen even some that are more than 30-years old in a good shape, since they can be officially considered a collectors' vehicle in my country when they turn 30. When it comes to the engine, it's still relatively easy to refurbish them, plus some models such as the Honda CG-series were in fact developed to withstand some degrees of abuse and neglect.

Quote:
I told my friend who lives in Mexico to always bring back a new Wave whenever he comes home but so far he's not done it for me yet.

One avenue for licensing something like a Wave might be Indiana's "Motor Driven Cycle" plates which don't require a title, at least for the 49cc versions. With a little creative fudging I'm sure the authorities would never know that the Wave is double the displacement of a legal "moped".
If you could get a JDM Super Cub, which is available with a 49cc version that nowadays is not used in any Latin American variant...