View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Engine efficiency outside of peak.

I was playing around with the economy calculator on the aerodynamics page and was wondering where to find numbers to use for engine efficiency. I can often find peak numbers but what would be a common number to use outside of peak? Basically how bad does that number get if say operating at a low load, low rpm condition where some motors are way outside of BSFC. How does a diesel compare with a standard gas. How does direct injection compare with regular multi-port FI?

It started with trying to convince trailer towers to slow down. Many think their setups get the same fuel economy no matter how much they slow down. That would only be true if the somehow are way outside of BSFC. I agree my truck (a Cummins)"feels" great at 2000 rpm, smooth as a baby's butt with power to spare. But it gets better feul economy towing my sail at any speed slower even if it means using a lower gear.

I think people just want it to be true and towing 11 mpg doesn't seem that much better than 7 mpg even if the percentage is huge MPG wise.