View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I haven't yet watched the video, but my first thought is your car has to be faster than a radio signal...
Not exactly. Your vehicle must be faster than the radio signal and the associated response time. The key to winning in a run has less to do with sheer speed, and more to do with lost visual contact. The longer the period of time that elapses from last sight, the more the odds favor the person running.

In my youth, I've won by default when the patrol car didn't even chase (I passed the car going 100 MPH). I've also passed a patrol car going in the opposite direction, turned around, and passed again as the car races to get me (another win).

The time I lost, I had been going 50 MPH in a 55 MPH empty country highway. I rolled on a little more throttle, and shortly after that a cruiser passed by. I glanced down and noticed I was now going 75 MPH. Thinking this was BS, I went wide open throttle for 5 minutes before approaching a small town. I wasn't going to fly through there, so I slowed down to the speed limit and just pulled into a parking lot and waited. The cop pulled in a minute later furious. He said he was doing 130 MPH and losing ground. I made no incriminating reply. He asked why I didn't pull over, and I said I didn't see or hear him. He wrote me a ticket for 75 in a 55, and reckless endangerment. The judge lectured the officer on the inappropriate use of reckless endangerment considering the absence of anybody to endanger, and I paid the speeding fine.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!