View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

Carbon fiber can't be recycled to the same quality. You would get a second class carbon fiber, not god enough for standarts asked for cars. It could be used in other applications perhaps.

If you have a large piece of carbon fiber, like a car's hood, and it broked in a small place, you need to change the entire piece. At least at present day.
Perhaps in near future the high end layers could have a portable hand version tool to"solder" a nem piece of carbon fibar to fill just the hole and keep most of the original strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Gonna be a PITA to recycle a mostly carbon-fiber vehicle, at a guess. But it would be nice if it became commonplace for sports cars and eco cars...

If the carbon fiber it's so flexible, like a pepar, looking just the fabric in rolls, is it just the epoxi resin that give it hardness, or the autoclave process indeed have a hardening direct in the carbon fiber sheet ?

I found that carbon fiber need to get pyrolisis, but I don't knoiw if it's just in the manufacture of the sheet rolls, or if it's also for the shape process.

I saw a video once, about little fine sticks of carbon fiber resisting hard strikes with a metal bar. But in other videos, like from carbon fiber pieces from bikes and videos of carbon fiber pieces made without autoclave, the pieces broked easily with hammer, and didn't look very hard or rigid.
A bike made of carbon fiber broked easier than steel and aluminiun :

And this other was weak for weight presure :

I know it depends of how many layers and final thickness and the direction of fibers, the way to combine sheetas in different direction. But something that is suposed to be many times stronger than steel... It would be more resistant, do you agree ?

When they compare carbon fiber's resistance to a given number times the resistance of steel, is the comparison what is the reference ? The same thickness for both, or same weight for both ?
One video used weight as reference, but I don't know if it's the official reference or not.

Carbon fiber can be great, otherwise it would not save Formula-1 drives so often, I know. So I'm not challenging science or creating conspiracy theories. But watching these videos above we get a bad feeling, like it appears poor for impacts, poor for pressure and weight, poor for resistance for cutting or drill... What what is left for quality ???

Maybe there are good and also very crap carbon fiber products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Problem is carbon fiber has amazing compressive strength, then it fails catastrophicly. Where steel and aluminum by nature bend when they fail, not shatter.
I worked with carbon fiber many years ago and I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't know how it would be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (02-22-2018)