View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
If you work or had worked with carbon fiber, I apologyse if my comments sounded rude ar unkind. Maybe it's just some ignorance of mine about some technical aspect somewhere.
English as a 2n language aside, I went back though the thread and find everyone helpful and un-antagonistic.

Quote:
Stop Saying Things That Make You Weak ...
Jordan Peterson
On to the subject of homemade carbon fiber. I haven't worked with it, I don't like stuff that gives off fumes. But my understanding is that carbon fiber is limp but it resists draping. IOW you wind up poking it into recesses and it pops back out. Sorta passive-agressive.

Vacuum bagging is a low-cost way to avoid needing a two-part form, the air pressure is conformal.

Quote:
I want to know about the average carebon fiber made in small garages/home, following rightfully the manufacturer specifications, without autoclave or ovens.
Simply put, your mileage may vary. Are you making a gear shift knob or a whole car? Do you have a clean dry work space with a finished floor? Working out at the curb or under a tree (like Eastern Oregon)?
We have a member that is in the jungle of Costa Rica, we probably have members is upscale communities in New Zealand.

Why do you disallow vacuum bagging? You can probably do it with a second-hand water bed and a vacuum cleaner.

Since you are still poised to dive in, I'd have you consider basalt. https://www.basalt.guru/

http://www.pulwellfrp.com/editor/attached/image/20151204/20151204155935_4556.jpg

Basalt doesn't shatter like carbon fiber, it dents instead. To make an arbitrary shape you could start with an open mesh, cut and stitched, and then lay fabric on to surface it.

The challenge is completely wetting the fibers without excessive resin.