View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Given he's an EE who apparently tracks every tank (manually), I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's comparing apples to apples. I'd be surprised if he made his complaint based on a single data point vs a long-term pattern.

But you know what happens when I assume ...

So those are all valid questions.
Even if he meticulously records every tank, that doesn't necessarily point to the inverter recall as the cause. Another example--my mileage over the last year has been much lower than it was the first year I owned my Prius probably because how far I drive, how fast, and in what weather conditions has changed--I never used to do multiple trips to Chicago in the winter at 75+ mph or multiple trips less than a mile to work in sub-zero temperatures, and now I do. We can't accept Enger's explanation without ruling things like that out, and I'm not sure how he would go about doing that. Toyota has the resources to conduct controlled, instrumented testing on a dyno that would put all this speculation to rest, and I expect if this goes to court we may see some results like that.