View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
The '99 Camry isn't that big. About the size of what a Corolla is now. I know by global standards it's bigger than we think it is here in America, but still if you get a measuring tape out it's not that much bigger than a compact. The Camry that's out now is definitely larger. Toyotas have gotten larger generally - the '91 corolla I had was practically a golf cart, and like I said, somehow burnt fuel like a much larger car (was also, unfortunately, an automatic). The Crown Victoria shown above, now that is a big car - and gets almost the same mileage I'm getting!

Selling the car would mean buying a new one - the savings in gas would take awhile to recoup the purchase price of the new one. Besides, someone else would be driving this one, probably getting worse fuel mileage than I do. Junking it would mean a new car would have to be manufactured, which is worse for the environment than keeping an older one running for it's maximum lifespan
Sure newer generations of most cars, not only Toyotas, grew quite considerably. OTOH the improvements in engine management systems and automatic transmissions overcome some of its side-effects. Well, in the end it sounds like picking engine and transmission out of a totaled newer Camry (or even a Corolla) and retrofit into the old beater is still more "sustainable" than getting a brand-new replacement car.