View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 03:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
interestingstuff
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I worked for Alcoa when they first came out with aluminum wheels paired with Michelin super singles. They tested them on our fleet and if I'm remembering correctly replacing 8 dualies with 8 super singles was good for about a 3 - 4% improvement in fuel economy. You save about 400 lbs per axle and the cost is about the same as dually. (The tires are twice as expensive but you only need half as many)
Thanks for chiming in. I just started exploring super singles, so I was going to make a note of them. My truck only has two axles, so I would only be replacing the wheels and tires on one (which I NEED to do anyway due to their age), but I felt it was worth making a note of for others. They're certainly worth looking at. http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...y8212doe-study

I'm personally concerned about the possibility for single point failure because my use will put me in locations where there is a higher risk of puncture, but that's a personal thing. They're definitely worth looking at.

Quote:
Depending on your usage you can reduce the frontal area and reduce drag by dropping the box. Likely your box has a 6 to 12 inch spacer to raise the box to the level of a standard loading dock. If you aren't going to load from a dock you can remove the spacer. You will need to cut and tub the floor of the box for tire clearance. UHaul does this to lower the loading height and improve fuel economy
Yeah, I can't do this myself. As shown in my original picture, one of my uses is to be able to access loading docks. It was the first thing I did. If there wasn't a way to change the height of a large truck mechanically, then there should be. Although I suspect such a system to do so would only increase the weight.