View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How do you spend downtime at work?

I do speech therapy at a school and the way the schedule worked out, I do not see any students today. I may end up doing Continuing Education Units just to stay busy, but I have already done about twice as many as I need.

The problem is that I am an Assistant and it seems that I could see all of the student and my supervisor would still be overwhelmed with paperwork and assessments that I cannot do. I was unable to sign up for college classes for this semester. I have been trying to register for summer school, but my counselor is ignoring me. Once that achievement is unlocked my plan is:

1. Sign up for eight summer credits.
2. Order all of my textbooks.
3. Read and take notes on all of them.
4. ????
5. Profit!

Yesterday I spent a while on speech blogs, but I am not sure where to start in order to understand them. I do not think there is a Grad School to Simplified English translator. I have shared a few useful things I found in blogs here. I describe them in a sentence or two, while they use five paragraphs. Speech blogs are like that, too, so it is exhausting to skim the buzz talk and "so cute!" exclamations for actual substance.

I have seen all of my students. My notes are up-to-date. Progress reports are not due for a month. I have reviewed all of my students and created new activities where I thought it would help. There are other projects I want to complete, but I cannot do them at work. All of them require programs that I have at home, but cannot install here. One is making Go Fish cards (my students are K - 2nd) with characters from Winnie the Pooh doing different things. Many of my students do not know how to say "Pooh is eating honey" and that seems more fun than the resources we have here.

I am going to try to find some SLPs that I can harass for advice. Unfortunately, it seems like the best place is reddit, which is blocked on school computers.

Saving the world with $0 Billion is hard!