View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Swap meet season is on the way. I got these four for $5.00 because the holes were eaten out. Lots of room for new holes. I'll fold aluminum strips double and cover the notches, with new holes, when I find some use.
Looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
15" is bead-to-bead not lip-to-lip. Check the tire sidewall.
Ah okay, thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I've had coroplast discs on both my Malibu and now my Ion, and I have coroplast under my engine and while it has never melted, it did sag a little under the engine... For street use, regular smooth coroplast discs in whatever color will be fine... For track use I'd take them off though...
Just looked up the melting point of coroplast - 320 degrees Fahrenheit, much hotter than brakes or wheels should ever get. I guess maybe I'm just a little overly skeptical from when I had that one trip with a dragging brake caliper that made the wheel very hot to the touch until it got replaced.

So looks like now I'll be doing smooth white (a buck cheaper than black, so why not, plus soothes my OCD about heat absorption) coroplast discs then, with white tape over the lug nut and air valve holes for ease of access, and caulk the gaps around the edge of the rim.

Thanks for your patience and input with my questions! I'm sure I'll have more as I keep thinking this out and get my shopping lists made up.

Tryin' to hit 50 MPG by the time summer comes around.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)

Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 03-05-2018 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: (misspelled word)