View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
If I could dream...

Shape the final product like the VW XL1

Make the monocoque from an aluminum alloy for weight savings...

Make all exterior body panels from carbon fiber skinned plastic(think sheets of coroplast die formed to shape)

Keep the interior simple but rattle free.. I would want adequate instrumentation and a decent sound system but not ridiculous... the car should seat two

Forged amooth faced alloy wheels, with just enough tire for grip (195-215 width at max)

Use modified LEA Ecotec (2.4L), 12.5:1 compression, high flowing intake and exhaust manifolds... run it on E30 fuel(95oct)
Run behind this engine a GM F40 six speed transmission, 3.55 final drive and a pretty tall sixth gear... fit it with the factory Quaife LSD

Use this powertrain to drive the rear wheels

Package the width of the car small enough to just encapsulate the occupants(staggered seating) and keep the rear width small for shorter axles(more torque to ground)

Done right the curb weight should land right under 1000kg, CdA should be great and it, with about 210whp/215wtq, should be properly quick and fast... the gearing and CdA, coupled with lean burn on an ethanol fuel should see mileage with “normal” driving in the mid forties and with an experienced hypermiler at the helm, could be as much as 60mpg

My last Ecotec project...