View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
ksa8907
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
There's no way you can accurately measure, as you're driving the car, and at the same time charging the battery.
The best thing you could do, is replace the battery with a large capacitor (provided the volt's electronics aren't going haywire).

But yeah, you won't be able to accurately measure; unless you add the driving distance of the charged state of the battery.
Eg: You start out with a complete empty battery, until the battery is like 50% charged. Then you turn off the engine, and continue to drive on the remaining juice of the battery.
I think that's about as accurate as you can get.

At 60MPH, the Bolt, Cruze, or Volt, uses about 6HP to maintain speed.
The Cruze does about 50MPG average on that.
The Volt, probably loses some efficiency, but it being in the high 40's of MPG would probably be quite spot on.
I would say thats a very poor way to use the vehicle. The gas engine should never be used to "charge" the battery. Why have a battery then? The idea is you have a battery that you charge from the grid which is cheaper per unit of energy that gasoline. Then, switch over to gas if you need it.

In charge sustain, CS mode, I consistently get about 37 to 39 mpg with windy, 15f to 50f weather and winter gas.