View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #1081 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Police aren't around 24/7. And in some parts of the world, the police are less than useless against those with the money to igore the law.

And yet somehow, a vast majority of us manage to treat each other with dignity and respect.
I'll point out here that police aren't first responders, they are last responders. We must self-police to some degree to maintain order because we are the only ones present in every situation we find ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Japan and Finland have very educated people, and I remamber about a lot of nice cooperation after tsunami event in Japan

...to create a good person requires a lot of work. To create a bad person it take by itself, nature, just let on, let it roll...

People think children are pure. They are not. They are innocent, that's different. Children are a example of human nature. Take teens, are even worse, it's nature with out of controll sexual isntints leading to agressive behavior and even some sadic behavior.
Japan's cooperation is not due to education, it's due to different cultural values that place community above individual. You even address individuals by their family name because that is their identity, part of a larger unit. Since the individual is de-emphasised, there is more prosocial behavior. The downside of this is that people who don't feel they contribute to the betterment of their group feel ashamed and depressed. Japan has higher rates of suicide than murder. In that culture, it is more honorable to die than to live on in disgrace.

A perfect society may very well be a blend of Japanese values of family and community, and US values of individual worth and freedom. Having a balanced perspective of finding value as both an individual and as part of a community protects against both self-loathing and anger towards society.

My observation is that life is a process of letting go of self-centeredness. We all enter the world complete psychopaths with no regard or concept of others, and to varying degrees grow to value the wellbeing of others.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
niky (03-14-2018)