View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #118 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Laminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
I talked with a aerodynamic engeneering, and he is working in a new shell desigh, that according hin will be much more stable and quite more efficient than Morelli shape.
He told me it will have more than 50% laminar airflow on surface.

Just to remamber about laminar airflow, that it it's not all the air following the countorns, but a bit more difficult than that :

So, I wonder if it with wheels will got 0,09 or 0,08.
Remind your friend that laminar forms are only for 'flight' conditions,at high altitude,far away from ground effect,in perfectly-calm air.
As a motor vehicle,and full-sized,generally,the vehicle will be submerged in the turbulent boundary layer of Earth's troposphere,which can be kilometers deep!
We know from Ludwig Prandtl's research of 1907,that any crosswind component will contaminate a laminar boundary layer,forcing an immediate transition to a fully turbulent boundary layer.
Faisal Ahmed,in his Master's Thesis research reported that his pickup truck had a maximum of 30mm of laminar boundary layer.A little over 1-inch.
The only way you could have a 'laminar' body in ground proximity,would be on a closed course,with no traffic,on a completely calm day,and keep your velocity below 20-mph.Otherwise,it's scientifically impossible.
COcyclist (05-04-2018)