View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Are you going to use that thing for a chase plane for tuft testing?
Many ideas. Recently there has been a cougar spotted around the apt complex. I've been asked to call 911 if I see it, but my idea is to surveil it from the sky.

My buddy has a band that is pretty good, and they make music videos from time to time. Thinking I might take some footage of iconic places in the area to include in future videos.

I like the tuft testing idea, although I tend to buy vehicles with an efficient design to begin with and don't intend to build a boattail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
If you want to test it, you could use a watt-meter to track how many watt-hours it takes to charge it back up. You don't have to completely drain the battery in the process, as long as the distance flown and the conditions are the same each time. Chart it out in 5mph increments or however fine of an increment you are up for doing.
That's my plan now, to simply test it for myself in 5 MPH increments. I'll test by flying at a known altitude to the same distance and returning, noting the ending battery percentage. I'll also measure energy used to charge the battery back up. This should give a pretty good idea of the sweet spot.

Then it's on to a new distance record! JK, but seriously. Wish there were a way to improve aero on a drone.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!