View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
LibertyMKiii
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
One of these things is not like the other. Is the controller a hand-held with two joysticks or a wheel? Upgrade to drone parts and you can have a LCD screen on the controller.
I have the traditional RC car transmitter with the wheel. I have not found any benefits to the models like Futaba with the screens. My eyes are on the car during its short 15 second run. Inside the car I have many data log sensors running. (IR Temp, internal measured temp, voltage, amps, watts, GPS and so on)

Quote:
You know Speed Demon? Why are you constrained to a four-square layout? Who is the sanctioning body? My own land speed design is a reverse tadpole with a two wheel bogey in back. Speed Demon has the long nose for transonic speeds (~250+mph). I went reverse tadpole for stability.

Have you considered Reynolds number? To be consistent with a full size car 1/4 or 1/5th scale is considered the limit. and the air speed has to be doubled at that. Most are trying to extrapolate from the model to full scale. You're going the other way. One Ecomodder greybeard built and tested a scale model in a wind tunnel to test his understanding. Have a look. Err, good luck, the pictures are all behind the Photobucket curtain. Best I can find is this thumbnail

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...6-a-32673.html
I have looked into Reynolds values, however since I have not decided on a design method for the body which will give the best safety/stability/speed combination I cannot determine a final decision.

There is not much of a sanctioned body for this sort of thing. (ROSSA and Guinness book) Generally there are specific measurement methods to determine peak speed. Other than that it is pretty open. Power methods separate the classification much like land speed runs at Bonneville. I do plan later to build a 2 wheel "motorcycle" and fully expect that would go MUCH faster. For now I have a significant investment in this 4 wheel car and would like to see it through completion.

Quote:
What construction method do you propose for the shell? Vacuum-formed over a mold?
It will be an Vacuum-form over a mold. I expect a few crashes when getting the car dialed in. This process is best for re-producing parts.

-Liberty