View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #328 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Plastidip is the answer to everything.

Maybe cut disks of cardboard to press in from the front and then make a sandwich with aluminum tape on the fronts?
Compound curves will put creases in the cardboard. I experimented with paper for a template and it too was problematic. That's why I think soft, black garden weed block fabric might make the best stuff.

Something like this (I already have a roll from last year for the yard):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProMat-6-ft...Fabric/3694508

Thin, it could be cut easily from a template and taped in from the back, adhering to the tape and overlapping with the wheel slightly. Then black it could be black plasti-dipped from the front. I figure tape it off the sides of the holes in the rims to keep to prevent over-spray onto the wheel. Then clear dip the whole wheel.

Another thought was using the holes as molds to make inserts that "fill" these holes. Great Stuff and fiberglass came to mind as materials.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.