View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
LibertyMKiii
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Do you have even a basic drawing of the chassis and wheel arrangement that we can try to draw a skin on? Are you front wheel or all wheel drive on this? What sorta tires are we talking width wise? Are active aerodynamics allowed?
It is an AWD chassis with a drive shaft down the center. Double wishbone configuration on all 4 corners and some very heavy duty axles to handle the power. There is allot of suspension linkage going on next to the wheel so an "open wheel" design is not ideal.

I will try to get some sort of graphic for you to look at. I finally have the post count up so I can add photos to the posts.

For some general specs that could get something started.
Width (max outside distance of wheel/tire) 296mm or 11.65 in This is an area that I have been considering reducing also. Modifying the A-Arms and cutting the axles I could see reducing this as much as 1.2 in total.

Length is to be determined I am open to any advice here, obviously length adds significant stability at speed as well as more room for a nice long flowing body. I was thinking something in the neighborhood of 24-30 inch wheelbase.

Height is right at 5 inch (I may be able to reduce this some)

wheels and tires are made by John at BSR racing. The tire itself is a special foam that has great traction but also does not expand at high rpms like the tires tend to. GRP makes some rubber steel belted tires but they tend to de-laminate at 160mph.
The BSR foams are 4.15 " but I will be shaving them down to 4" to reduce the possibility of issues. @ 210mph they will be rotating 17,656 rpm!!!
The width of the wheel/tire is adjustable. I have successfully cut one down as well as rounded the corners of the "tire" foam. Thinner is better in this area but it will need some meat there for traction also.

There are no rules.... I have been considering adaptive aero and have been imagining a setup with pitot tubes and Arduino.
The car currently has a little bit of tech in it for stability. It has a gyro which detects a slide scenario and automatically counter steers for you. It has yet to save the car from a crash... Once its sideways at high speed it takes off in flight.

I am in disagreement about the FPV ideas. You can youtube RC Cars running with cameras in them (GoPro etc) its a blurry mess. Being just a few inches off the ground you cannot see anything. I suspect any corrective action seen in the goggles would be too late. I do agree on adaptive steering based on speed. Given the car will be attempting to go straight I plan on setting that up for minimal steering at all times.

I have also been debating on floating rubber skirts or nylon brushes as under car aero as well as around wheel openings.

Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 03-21-2018 at 09:51 AM..