View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #49 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
G1 Honda Insight with a K20 swap. All aluminum, seats two, has a spartan interior, weighs under 900kg dry even after the motor swap. Innovative sells mounts and axles for it already so it's not horribly difficult. I've seen as much as 170ft-lbs of torque and 270HP to the wheels with a stock block, naturally aspirated; 230-250 is easy and reliable with a completely stock engine.

With a 6 speed Accord transmission (bolts on) or perhaps just the Accord's final drive swapped, 50-60mpg with conservative driving is not unrealistic on 87 octane.

Seats two comfortably side by side, lots of cargo room in the rear. It's wrong-wheel drive of course.

I can't imagine your GM variant being 1000kg, seems way too high for what it is.
I was being conservative with both engine output of an ethanol optimized LEA and the weight of the car... were I building it today I’d target 800kg... however I want at least the cabin to be strong enough to shield me in a crash/rollover/etc... however no airbags, belt pre-tensioners(use five point harnesses)

I would also want a large fuel cell to maximize range, something in the neighborhood of 20gal...

My last Ecotec project...