View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
When you own a car for twenty years and do all the work on it, you know every flaw. You can eventually ID and repair any failure. If I sold for a grand (assuming I could), a replacement vehicle would be a mystery. Surprise failures would start appearing. When it comes to the go-box, I don't like surprises! Lol.
Think of how much better MPG I could get down the road in several years with an eocmodded '15 Fit rated 36 MPG combined as opposed to an ecomodded '04 Civic rated 30 MPG combined!

But true, owning the same car for as long as the vehicle lasts does have its advantages. Prior to buying this car I literally knew absolutely nothing about a car's engine--and I still don't know much--but I'm hoping to learn for myself instead of just relying on mechanics to do everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I second the above opinion... if you’re gonna sell/trade, obviously do it before too much irreversible modding... otherwise, I’d do whatever you feel necessary... realistically if I were spending $1k next a car, I’d not expect it to look pristine... however, using tape shouldn’t hurt the finish at all... most residue comes off with some goof-off...

Most of the mods of the aerodynamic variety also help speed, just some food for thought... not only cheaper to operate than the garden variety 04 Civic but also faster on the freeway and maybe with less lift, translating to better high speed stability...

It sounds like you’re gonna keep it a while though, so the more cheap kids you have, the cheaper your operating costs will be in the long run
Not planning on doing any irreversible mods.

If my tranny dies but the rest of the car is in good shape I'll see if I can replace it with a taller one for even better FE.

But the car is in excellent shape and should run for a long time yet.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)